Let's begin with some equations:
- Ethnic Cottage Decor = Global + Shabby Chic
- Ethnic Cottage Decor = Pier 1 + Pottery Barn
- Ethnic Cottage Decor = World Market + Ballard Designs
- Ethnic Cottage Decor = British Colonial + English Cottage
- Ethnic Cottage Decor = Bohemian + Romantic Country
- Ethnic Cottage Decor = International + Traditional
- Ethnic Cottage Decor = Animals + Funky
- Ethnic Cottage Decor = Elle Decor + Romantic Homes
- Ethnic Cottage Decor = Cultural + Rustic Country
- Ethnic Cottage Decor = Mediterranian + Vintage
- Ethnic Cottage Decor = Chinoiserie + Paris Apt
- Ethnic Cottage Decor = Safari Chic + Eclectic
- And much, much more!
Add a LOT of IMAGINATION to all of the above!
So you see, it's the juxtaposition of interior elements of a global, cultural nature plus a warm, homey cottage atmosphere. It adds up to WOW!
In my own home I've had these reactions, almost verbatim:
- This is the most comfortable, homiest home I've ever been in!
- I love how everywhere you look there's something interesting to see.
- Is that African or Indian?
- I love this room and yet my husband would love it too.
- You've got things I've never seen anywhere else!
Below is a simplified example of Ethnic Cottage from pinterest.com. You can see the bed, the colors and the architecture have the cottage feel. Then they added the Asian art! Gives the room a whole different feel and causes the bedroom to become...Ethnic Cottage.
|One of my faves. Sheila Bridges did her own interpretation of toile and calls it Harlem Toile. So clever and so beautiful!|
|Interior Alchemy by Rebecca Purcell - A treasure of a book!!!!|
One last thing:
LESS IS NOT MORE
IN THIS STYLE OF DECOR!
You should ENJOY your home and your things.